Kara Heflin donated her mother’s Mount Alverno Museum to the Nodaway Historical Museum Old uniform evokes Mt. Alverno academy – Maryville Daily Forum – June 1, 2016</a
History of Catholic Church in Maryville from discontinued link via internet archive:
History of St. Gregory Barbarigo Parish, Maryville, MO
1858 The first Church is built called Mary Immaculate, later called St. Mary’s. The 3 priests who served the area were James Powers, John Hennessey and John Hogan, later Bishop Of St. Joseph, MO
1860 Small brick church named St. Mary’s is dedicated where Fr. John Powers offers Mass.
1869 Fr. Constantine Hergenrother starts a school where several Benedictine Sisters from the Swiss convent of Rickenbach teach.
1877 Cornerstone of St. Mary’s basement church is laid on Oct. 13.
1878 Basement church is blessed and completed on Oct. 13. Fr. Adelhelm, OSB, Pastor. Fr. Anselm, OSB, became pastor in 1881
1881 Eighty Irish families form St. Patrick’s Parish with Fr. Daniel Pembroke as pastor. Built small frame Church south of the later brick one in 1882.
1886 Benedictine sisters go to Yankton,SD; Sisters of St. Francis take over school & begin hospital
1887 St. Mary’s Church is completed and blessed on Nov. 20.
1895 Hospital built at East First St; wing added 1901; new school built south of the St. Mary’s Church
1899 St. Patrick’s Church is completed in one year, cost $10,000, Fr. Nieman, pastor.
1910 St. Patrick’s School started with Benedictine sisters of Atchison, KS.
1913 Fr. Anselm leaves St. Mary’s after 32 years; Later Fr. Isidore would serve 25 years as Pastor 1931-59
1928 Fr. Robert Graham pastor at St. Patrick’s until his death in 1955
1933 Fr. Isidore bus system begins.
1937 St. Patrick’s High School is closed
1958 Pope John XXIII, new Pope; Vatican II proclaimed Jan 1959, Begins in Oct 1962.
1959 Fr. Isidore moved to Nebr in July; Fr. Stack pastor of both parishes by Bishop Cody.
1960 Sisters of St. Francis plan new Mount Alverno High School for girls east of Maryville. Opened 1963
1961 St. Mary’s and St. Patrick’s are combined and the parish is named for St. Gregory Barbarigo.
1963 New St. Gregory’s School opens fall 1963. Pope Paul VI elected June 1963
1964 Mass in English, not Latin; high altar removed from St. Gregory’s & new altar faces the people
1965 Old St. Patrick’s Church torn down;
1970 Saturday evening Mass permitted; 1977, communion in the hand allowed.
1970 New 96 bed St. Francis Hospital built on South main
1971 Mount Alverno High School closed; Maryville Treatment Center (prison) opens 1997
1976 Deacons Martin Schieber and Roy Seipel ordained; Fr. Frank Lackamp, Pastor
1982 New St. Gregory’s Church is constructed. The cornerstone is blessed and laid Oct. 24.
1982 Priests use 1967 convent as rectory; nuns move to house on S. Charles St.
1983 First Mass celebrated in the new St. Gregory Barbarigo Church Jan 22, 1983,Fr. Helfrey Pastor.
1985 Debt of over $1,056,500 for Church and hall paid off, Fr. Terry Bruce pastor.
1995 Opening of St. Gregory’s Preschool and Childcare Facility
1996 Dedication of the Parish Center, with Gym, pre-school, kitchen; Fr. John Leitner, Pastor